Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kitchen experiment

With my unexpected free time this afternoon, I thought I'd bake a treat for my class tomorrow both to commemorate the end of my SIT and just to do something special before Thanksgiving.  Baking is one of my favorite ways to procrastinate when I have lots to do.  My class has a few students with food allergies and they usually have an alternate snack when there's a birthday celebration.  Today, I tried to bake gluten, soy, and dairy free brownies for the whole class to provide something that everyone can eat.  As a teacher, you really have to be cautious about what food you bring into the classroom because you don't want to be responsible for someone's child having a serious allergic reaction!  Well, I'm disappointed to say that my first foray into gluten-free baking was not very successful.  It was a mix from my very favorite grocery store and as I put the pan into the oven, I just thought things looked a little...different.  Halfway through the baking, I peeked in and noticed that the edges looked like they were cooking but there were almost pools of oil/water on top of the batter!  Out of the oven, they just seem waaaaay too greasy.  I'll let you know what the all-too-honest 4th grade taste testers have to say tomorrow about the finished product.  Does anyone have more experience with gluten-free baking that could suggest a good brand? 

No comments:

Post a Comment